Friday, August 22, 2008

Weekend Loneliness

I always wonder if the weekends will get any easier.  

Today started 185 lbs. weekend with the kids.  I'm always amazed at how lonely I get and how much I miss them when they're gone now.  185 lbs. used to take the kids out of town all the time when we were together and I relished in the alone time--even looked forward to it.  Now I dread it and can't wait for it to be over.

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of single friends.  I live in the middle of "perfect town."  Almost every house has two Caucasian married Christian (high percentage of those Mormon) couples with at least 2 children.  Most of the dads are the typical dad who's around when needed, but is mostly working.  The moms are mostly blonde, beautiful stay-at-home moms and the kids are dressed in their designer clothes and are expected to look and act perfect.

The few single friends I have, one is a single mom of Cupcake's best friend.  She has limited contact with M's dad and has full custody (meaning he doesn't even have visitation rights) not to mention a job that requires her to work pretty much every weekend.  The other friend is the mom of Snickerdoodle's best friend and her situation is semi-similar except that she works crazy days/nights and I'll admit that she's hard to socialize with right now because she had a pretty messy divorce which left her bitter--5 years later.

I guess I need to find a hobby (besides photography, scrapbooking, reading...) which will help me take my mind off the loneliness.  Any ideas?

Running Update - I failed miserably today.  I took all the kids to school and then attempted to run at 8am.  I ran out of steam really early--I only lasted one set of 60 seconds--and then there were so many people around (which we all know I hate running in front of people because it's embarrassing that I can't even run for 60 seconds) that I ended up calling it quits halfway through the program.  I did walk the rest of the path so I covered the same distance I just didn't get the run part of it.  Now I don't know what to do.  I can honestly say that I still hate running.  
August 21 - 19,538 steps
9,409 aerobic
693 calories
8.01 miles

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I have a suggestion for you to combat your loneliness - consider adding your blog over at entrecard.com (I get NOTHING out of referring you, I'm just trying to be friendly). It's a blogging community. A lot of people there are trying to make money with their blogs (which might be a fun and profitable hobby for you), but it's a way to bring people to your blog, which in turn will help you "meet" others by dropping your own "card" at their blogs. They're a pretty supportive community and it might be just the thing to occupy you - esp if you're awake late at night or whatever. Just a thought. I'm sorry for what you're going through, but you sound like a strong woman...it's just going to take some time, you'll figure out this "new life". :-)

FlipFlop Mom said...

Oh Honey Pie.. my heart breaks for you.. reading your whole blog... I wish I had the words to make you feel 100 times better... but I don't.. but I'll support you the best way I know how!!

If you always want a stupid antic.. go visit my blog.. har har..

Krista P said...

Quilting (stop laughing) can be a nice hobbie. Do you ever spend time on the Photog board? There are challenges (26 Things - POTD - Color of the month, etc) that will help focus more on photography. It's pass the time :)

{hugs}