Wednesday, August 20, 2008

A New Me

After all the ups and downs and the past few months, I decided to take on something else that I've been putting off for awhile.

My Weight.  In June I started to walk on the treadmill and continued throughout the summer--I even visited the Fitness Centers at the various hotels we stayed at while on vacation, unheard of for me.  At the beginning of August I added in a change in my diet.  I'm trying to eat healthier while also keep up with the exercise.



At the top of the rollercoaster looking down.
  Memorial Day Weekend 2008
195 lbs. 

Kind of scary to even put that out there, but I think it will help me to have it out there and hopefully it was also help me keep on task no matter how horrible this rollercoaster ride becomes.  Not a very flattering picture either, but I don't have many of just me from that time period (I take the pictures not the other way around).

Monday, August 18 started a new journey.  I'm trying the Couch to 5K program that I've been hearing about online for a while.  Given that I was never a runner (even at 100 lbs. in high school I HATED running), I'm not overly optimistic but I'm willing to give it a try (and it probably helps that SHE is a skinny blonde marathon runner--way to make me feel inadequate).  

So week 1 is 60 seconds of running with 90 seconds of walking, 3 times a week with a day in between each run.  I made it through maybe half the program (which is 30 minutes long) on Monday before I couldn't run the full 60 seconds.  I did walk the rest of the way (I'd run as long as I could and then walk the rest).  Today was day 2 and I made it maybe 3/4 through the program and was running slightly longer than Monday.  I'm hating it, but I'm determined to give it a fighting chance.  We'll see how Friday goes.  I need to find another time to do it too.  Monday I did it after taking the kids to school so started running at about 9am which was too hot and too many people around to feel comfortable running (which makes it even harder to keep going).  Today Caramel (the 15yo) had a reverse minimum day which meant she started school at 10am, so I was able to start running at 6:15am (Caramel starts school at 7am usually so that's why I don't do it then every day).  It was much cooler and there were a bunch less people around which helped considerably, but I can't do it at that time on a normal day (we need to leave by 6:30 to get Caramel to school on time) and I don't think I can drag myself out of bed at 5am.

Keep trying though.  Here's the results of my hard work:


Riding the Coaster trying not to puke
August 20, 2008
182 lbs.

I don't know if you can even see a difference or not.  I do know that I'm down at least 1 pants size (I had to go out and buy new jeans because my old pairs were falling off when I walked and I bought two pairs one the same size as my previous pair, but in petites which is usually about a size smaller and one 2 sizes less!) and 13 lbs. lighter.  Shirts that were starting to get tight on me now fit better (that you can't see because my shirts are mostly loose) and my face is definitely thinner.  The bad news is that I'm probably down at least one bra size (I'm NOT big there ever, so it's frustrating to have it be the first thing to go).

No comments: