Thursday, September 11, 2008

September 11

9/11 is a big day of remembrance.  So many people relive that day and the days that followed.  

September 11, 2001 I had a 3 month old, 3 year old, and 8 year old.  We lived 2 blocks away from where we live now and we had no cable tv.

That's right, I never saw the tv coverage that everyone was talking about (well I saw bits and pieces over the past 7 years, but it wasn't the same).  185 lbs. has always been against tv.  He's not a big tv watcher, really only watches sports, and he had read a book in college about the effects of advertising (interesting coming from he who refuses to buy the off-brand of anything).  He had talked for years about cutting off the cable and only using the tv for videos.  Somehow after the baby was born, I let him convince me to try it out.  We cancelled the cable in June 2001.  

Then 9/11 happened.  I heard about the crash from my mom who called to say that Afghanistan was attacking us.  Since I couldn't see it on tv I had a view that most people never had.  I could look at it from afar.  I still thought it was a horrible tragedy, but it didn't effect me the way it did most.

We reinstated the cable in October 2001 and haven't looked back.  Such a huge event that effected so many people across the country and I feel like our family weren't a part of it (which sounds weird to say, but hopefully you understand what I mean).  Sometimes I compare it to the Oklahoma bombing which I did see on tv and was very effected by (I even named our cat Baylie after the little girl that died in the fireman's arms).

1 comment:

dg said...

You have a unique and interesting perspective. At this time of year, it seems almost comforting to hear what others did during that time, and how they heard of the tragedies. I wish I could take back the day of just sitting in front of the TV, watching it all unfold.