Thursday, September 11, 2008

2nd Grade Ramblings

Yesterday was my first day back to school.  No, not that kind of back to school :).

It was my first day back to volunteering in at the elementary school.  

As usual I got there early (most teachers want volunteers at 8:30am, but because I walk the kids to school at 8am it doesn't make sense to leave and come back).  Unfortunately Cupcake's teacher wasn't feeling well and really wasn't ready for me.  She did find some copying for me to do (which while tedious is fun because the production center is always full of life--and while I was at it I made sure to tell a few more people that THE HOUSE is now for sale) and then I took some kids into the hallway to work on spelling.  

It's always interesting to see how different teachers run their classrooms and this one was definitely different.  I couldn't believe how many times the kids were allowed to just get up and walk around the room and I could easily see the kids getting overly rambunctious quickly because they are given a bit more freedom that most classes.  Interestingly the teacher went home an hour after I arrived and the sub was able to keep the kids in their seats and under control for the rest of the time that I was there. 

Don't get me wrong, I love Cupcake's teacher.  She is the really nicest friendly teacher that we've had (I think it's hard for some teachers to not feel like they need to keep a professional distance with the parents).  She just seems  bit disorganized and there is a bit concern that the kids could start getting out of control (I'm all over Cupcake, she is NOT to get into trouble but a few of her friends--especially one of her best friends who was out of her seat more than in and was constantly correcting the other kids and sometimes even the teacher!--that could easily have problems in 3rd grade if they have a stricter teacher).

Next up is helping in the 5th grade next Friday.  In a weird irony Snickerdoodle's teacher was a student of Cupcake's teacher in elementary school--how weird is that?

No comments: